Sunday, December 2, 2007

Hellfire and brimstone

In the cheesy (but badass) John Woo movie "Paycheck," Uma Thurman says something like, "All we are is the sum of our experiences." Maybe it's a hokey movie quote, but I think it's pretty true, at least in my case. I have lots to say, and no real outlet to say it. And here is why:

I am the daughter of a pretty well-known, voraciously proselytizing Christian singer. If I write in a tangible journal, and my sister finds it on a visit to Boston, or I somehow die tomorrow in a terrible car accident, my parents might read it and then know for certain (instead of perpetually debating the notion) that their daughter is, essentially, an unreligious whore of Babylon. Call me a liar, but I'd rather be dishonest with them than break my father's heart.

When I was a child, for almost a decade, my family lived out of suitcases and seedy motel rooms (or pastor's houses), going church to church presenting a famous-for-being-controversial evangelical drama (akin to this one, but with a lot more hellfire and brimstone, and a lot lower budget). The premise was this: some people die, and go to heaven or hell. "Heaven" is a massive mylar sheet with silk-clad angels and, "streets of gold." Jesus welcomes Christians with open arms, and they go offstage, presumably to play harps and frolic on clouds or whatever they do up there.




"Hell" is where it gets dicey... a caped, makeup-clad, voice-modulated Satan literally drags nonbelievers into a flaming pit of fire, represented via red silk and smoke machine. And, you guys, it's fucking scary.

Disagree? You have to see it to believe it: during the "altar call," hundreds, and I mean hundreds, of people would walk out of that sanctuary at the end of the night, literally scared into salvation. Elderly people. Rich and poor people, black and white people. Even little kids.

Even when I was younger, I would ask my dad whether it was okay to "scare" people into believing in God. His response? "I'd rather scare 'em into heaven than lure 'em into hell."

4 comments:

Johnny said...

Delise, I really like the way you've written that post. I think the majority of humans are almost "programmed" to believe and a small amount are not. I always find I really respect those, like you, who have been immersed in the horseshit of religion as a child and are able to figure out for themeselves how illogical it is. I reckon a vastly large amount of people are scared into believing by the repugnant notion of hell, some all loving god huh?

Poodles said...

It is rarely easy to let go of religion, but for me it was totally worth it.

Sean Wright said...

Bravo Delise for making the first steps.

You situation sounds like it might be harder the some. I had a rather easy passage to non-belief.

I look forward to your particular insights and outletting.

Anonymous said...

Like Sean said I'm looking forward to reading more of what you have to say! Twinks